Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Things that piss me off

I have come to the conclusion recently that all of us, including my good self, are perpetually offended by everything. The world is growing more and more politically correct and whilst in some ways I thoroughly embrace some of these PC expectations, I feel that this constant need to not offend people tends to zap the fun out of life. Trigger warnings are the latest new-age phenomenon, and I am not trying to take away from any trauma anyone has suffered in life, but it’s getting to a stage where we’re all walking on egg shells, afraid that if we mention certain words or laugh at an inappropriate joke that someone will spontaneously combust with upset and distress.

I recently started following the author Louise O’Neill on Facebook who’s an Irish author who wrote two excellent books on misogynistic culture. I normally tend to agree with the points she makes on her Facebook page (although they can come across very strongly sometimes, alas each to their own) however, she recently posted the following image with the caption:

“What the actual fuck, Forever21?”





I stared at the image for ages (I was procrastinating in the library, of course) and honestly could not for the life of me understand what was wrong with it. I scrolled through the comments to see other highly offended individual’s comments and even after discussing it with a friend; I still couldn’t see why anyone could be that offended by the quote on the t-shirt. I left the following comment:

“There are genuine things to be offended and appalled by but I really don’t think this qualifies as one of them. I read it as be comfortable with saying no to something you don't want to do.”

Is it just me or does these perpetually offended attitudes take away from the cause of being offended by things that are genuinely offensive? When something truly is abhorrent and you mention it, people are much quicker to jump down your throat accusing you of being a whiny feminist who hates men (that’s me J ) because people are spending their time giving out about things that aren’t serious in the grand scheme of things.

At the end of the day, I just think that a t-shirt with a shitey slogan like that (if you wear that t-shorts with slogans on them, I’m not going to associate with you full stop.) is not going to provoke anyone to have non consensual sex with someone. There are many other things happening daily that will take care of that aspect of things perfectly.

ANYWAYS, seeing as we’re all so offended, I’ve made a list of things that REALLY piss me off and are perfectly ok to be offended by:


1. Sharing fake competitions on Facebook.
This truly makes me question the intelligence levels of people I know as well as deepening my fear for the future of humanity.
My first point is who the fuck gets a kick out of creating these fake Instagram and Facebook pages for Ryan air and Emirates?
Secondly, who is actually dumb enough (I know who you are) to believe that:
a) Ryan air is giving away ‘round the world’ flights when they don’t even sell flights to America?
And
b) That Ryan air would give anything away for free?


2. Motivational Posters/Quotes
Most motivational posts that people ‘live their lives by’ are as about as deep as a puddle of piss. If you need to follow some overly hyped yank who’s stuffed to the gills with steroids and Prozac to tell you that all you need to do is ‘live, laugh and love’ to get through this life, then you need to see a therapist.
Fun fact: Any guy who has a cringe quote like that on their Tinder gets an instant swipe left.





3. Sending a Snapchat AND putting it on your story
This actually makes me shake with anger. I can’t even discuss it any further because I really cannot comprehend why the fuck you would think it’s necessary to send me a Snapchat of your ham sandwich and then put it on your fucking story too so I have to see it TWICE.


4. The following words:
Brekkie, nom, veggies.
If English is your first language can you learn to fucking speak and write it coherently.


5. Trying to write the word ‘fucking’ on my iPhone.
Autocorrect tries to get a great laugh out of me by autocorrecting my most used word to the following:

FUCKNIG
Fuvcking
FUCKIMG


6. Couples who have cringe nicknames for each other
What reminded me of my hatred for this phenomenon was when I recently watched a Tanya Burr vlog by accident and she kept calling her husband ‘bubs’. Between that and her fake baby voice I nearly self combusted myself.





No comments:

Post a Comment